[mythtv-users] After the crash: Mythdora or something else?

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Tue Jan 25 19:29:49 UTC 2011

2011/1/24 Anthony Korsman <manak at primus.ca>:
> I can't just clone it because the HD sizes are different. Originally, there
> was a 500G (boot disk)  combined via LVM with the 1.5T. I'm putting in a
> working 250 G to replace to dying 500G.

In your case, with no compelling reason to do a complete reinstall, I
would probably manually copy everything to the new HD and postpone the
reinstall until there's a new version of your favorite distribution
out.

I would do something like:
- Boot a live CD.
- Create a partition- + LVM-layout on the new HD similar to the old HD
(of course just smaller).
- Mount the LVs of the new HD as well as the /boot partition, and copy
everything from your backup to the new disk - "rsync -a source/*
destination/" for each of the partitions should do the job - or just
"cp -a".
- Chroot into the new environment (remember to bind /dev /proc etc.
into the chrooted environment) and install grub onto the new HD.
- Boot your system and enjoy the restored WAF while waiting for a
reason to do the next reinstall/distribution-upgrade ;)

Best regards
Kenni