[mythtv-users] Hitachi 3T drives - reliable?

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 08:11:18 UTC 2011

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011, John Drescher wrote:

>> Do we perhaps think Newegg is cheaper because they're buying -- and hence
>> selling -- manufacturer culls?  Drive which are, perhaps, at the low end
>> of the QA pass scale?
>>

> I think the biggest problem was their poor packaging. They appear to
> have fixed that on my last two orders. They even had a facebook (or
> similar) blog about that. However in the past I have seen some really
> poor packaging from them especially when I ordered many drives in a
> single order for work. I have seen drives in their anti-static bags
> and just peanuts with the drives floating around in the box.. And then
> also a foam cutout from a 20 pack without the top sitting face down on
> the bottom of the box such that all drives had no protection between
> them and the bottom of the box.

This problem isn't unique to Newegg either; I'm in the UK and frequently
order from Insight. They consistently use really good packaging, but rarely
use it properly! At least they sandwich the drive between the two bits of
foam and put it in its own box, but they very rarely put the drive in the
foam "ring" to stop it sliding around laterally...

> John

Best Regards,
Alex