[mythtv-users] Comcast Digital Switchover Configuring - Recommendations?

Mark D. Montgomery II techiem2 at techiem2.net
Tue Jan 25 02:46:10 UTC 2011

<snip>

>> If you are still getting local channels in analog, it will be short
>> lived. &nbsp;They are dropping all analog channels with locals being the
>> last to go in February in my area (Southern NJ). &nbsp;I wouldn't waste my
>> time scanning for the remaining "real" analog channels. &nbsp;It will be a
>> lot of work for a few weeks of recordings. &nbsp;If you still want to
>> capture SD analog channels, you should be able to record off of a DTA
>> which is free. &nbsp;Your analog tuner will have to tune channel 3 or 4 and
>> use a blaster to change the channel on the DTA. &nbsp;You will not get your
>> full set of channels though. &nbsp;I have never used an analog recorder, so
>> someone else may have to help you with that. &nbsp;You could use your card
>> to record S-Video off of an SD STB if you are willing to pay the
>> rental fee. &nbsp;This will also require blasting the STB to change the
>> channel, unless you are dual purposing an HD STB where you can use
>> FireWire (IEEE1394) to change the channel.

I was kind of afraid of that..that eventually I won't pick up anything
through the cable line itself on the analog tuners.
We already have the allotted 2 free DTA's from them, and with the
amount of watching and recording I've been doing, it's not worth the
rental fee to get another one for my box at this time, besides the
fact that I don't have a blaster..

>> The HDHomeRun is an unencrypted clear-QAM tuner and will always get
>> you the major networks in HD. &nbsp;The only problem is that Comcast could
>> change the channel frequencies from time to time and force you to
>> rescan. &nbsp;I use the SchedulesDirect Broadcast (OTA) listing for my QAM
>> tuner, and the Comcast Digital lineup for my HD-PVR tuner. &nbsp;The HD-PVR
>> would be similar to your analog tuner in that the STB does the tuning
>> so you will never have to rescan.

So basically, I just need to wipe out all my listings and rescan them
to see what I still get...then redo that now and then as they change
stuff..
I'll have to play with the SD lineups and figure something out then.

>> Hope this helps.

Yeah, that clears it up a bit.
Thanks.

Mark II