[mythtv-users] Comcast Digital Switchover Configuring - Recommendations?

Tom Bongiorno tom at bongohut.com
Tue Jan 25 01:53:02 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 7:22 PM, Mark D. Montgomery II
<techiem2 at techiem2.net> wrote:
> So Wednesday Comcast finally pulled the plug on analog here, so I'm
> wondering what the standard procedure is for reconfiguring the tuners on
> Mythtv, and whether I should grab an antenna (would be inside, but right by
> an outside wall) to hook up to one of my hdhomerun inputs.
>
> I currently have both my hdhomerun inputs plugged into the cable, as well as
> the WinTV PVR-500 card.
> At a quick glance the PVR still seems to be pulling in the local stations
> and some others (maybe comcast hasn't fulling pulled the plug on all the
> analog yet...like FSN is still coming in over analog).
> Some channels are fine and others are showing the Comcast "You need a
> digital adapter" message.
>
> So what is the common procedure?  Delete all listings and have the devices
> rescan then delete out the non-real channels?
>
> What is the typical SchedulesDirect configuration for such a setup?  Right
> now I think I had everything set to use plain Comcast listings or whatever.
>  Can you have different tuners use a different listing (can you have
> multiple listings setup on SchedulesDirect?  I haven't really messed with it
> much other than the original setup - it's time for me to renew now).
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mark II
>
> --
> Mark D. Montgomery II
> http://www.techiem2.net

If you are still getting local channels in analog, it will be short
lived.  They are dropping all analog channels with locals being the
last to go in February in my area (Southern NJ).  I wouldn't waste my
time scanning for the remaining "real" analog channels.  It will be a
lot of work for a few weeks of recordings.  If you still want to
capture SD analog channels, you should be able to record off of a DTA
which is free.  Your analog tuner will have to tune channel 3 or 4 and
use a blaster to change the channel on the DTA.  You will not get your
full set of channels though.  I have never used an analog recorder, so
someone else may have to help you with that.  You could use your card
to record S-Video off of an SD STB if you are willing to pay the
rental fee.  This will also require blasting the STB to change the
channel, unless you are dual purposing an HD STB where you can use
FireWire (IEEE1394) to change the channel.

The HDHomeRun is an unencrypted clear-QAM tuner and will always get
you the major networks in HD.  The only problem is that Comcast could
change the channel frequencies from time to time and force you to
rescan.  I use the SchedulesDirect Broadcast (OTA) listing for my QAM
tuner, and the Comcast Digital lineup for my HD-PVR tuner.  The HD-PVR
would be similar to your analog tuner in that the STB does the tuning
so you will never have to rescan.

Hope this helps.