[mythtv-users] Hitachi 3T drives - reliable?

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 22:04:40 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> Do we perhaps think Newegg is cheaper because they're buying -- and hence
> selling -- manufacturer culls?  Drive which are, perhaps, at the low end
> of the QA pass scale?

Dunno.  I do know that the Hitachis in my MythTV systems have been
running flawlessly, and IIRC they were all bought from Newegg.

But the last of those drives was bought some time ago, so Newegg
purchasing policies may have changed. Or Hitachi may simply have
produced a bad batch of drives (it has happened before). Or it could
just be the luck of the draw (though my "4 bad out of 6 ordered"
experience would argue against that).

Calvin