[mythtv-users] OT: XBMC on Apple TV2 and iPad

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 20:26:56 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Richard Morton
<richard.e.morton at gmail.com>wrote:

> > This changes everything for what?  MythTV?  XBMC only supports up to
> > MythTV 0.23.  Also, what would we be giving up using an XBMC frontend?
>
> That depends on how you use XBMC, if it was used as a frontend to the
> filesystem where mythbackend recorded and the system events
> immediately caused mythlink to create human readable filenames... the
> only things you would be missing that I can think of (and please help
> expand this list):
>  - commercial skip (doesnt work very reliably in the UK market)
>  - storage groups and easy setup without network shares
>  - adding cutpoints and transcoding honouring cutpoints (xbmc may do
> this but I doubt it; but Myth only works with SD files for me, my HD
> files are H264 and they dont play nicely)
>
> what do you gain:
>  - lots of devices starting to open up
>  - cheap silent frontends potential with apple tv2
>  - prettier interface; although a bit too glitzy!
>
> for me; and with this incomplete list; I am still in favour of myth...
> but each to their own.

Keep in mind that there is also in the works a "PVR" branch of XBMC that
they're planning to be a full-featured frontend to multiple PVR backends,
including MythTV. I believe the main reason that native MythTV support in
XBMC has not been maintained is because they are focusing their efforts on
redoing the whole thing in the PVR branch. On my system, I use mythfrontend
only for live TV and watching one-off recordings. I have several user jobs
that I use for archiving things I want to save, and they go straight into
XBMC once that happens. In other words, XBMC will be a complete media system
(using mythbackend) once it has all the PVR features that mythfrontend has.
And this ARM port is pretty exciting.