[mythtv-users] OT: XBMC on Apple TV2 and iPad

Brent Meyer brent.meyer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 20:24:05 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Tom Bongiorno <tom at bongohut.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Richard Morton <richard.e.morton at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> http://xbmc.org/theuni/2011/01/20/you-asked-for-it-xbmc-for-appletv2-ipad-iphone4/
>>
>> Holy crap, this changes everything. Full XBMC on all the devices? My head
>> just exploded.

> This changes everything for what?  MythTV?  XBMC only supports up to
> MythTV 0.23.  Also, what would we be giving up using an XBMC frontend?

I'm thinking of something along these lines:
1. Convert MPEG2 recordings to H264 MPEG4 (may or may not be
necessary, depending on recording device, broadcast type, etc.)
2. Use Mythvidexport.py to export your recordings to MythVideo with a
pretty, descriptive filename.
3. Export your MythVideo directory over NFS (which you're probably
already doing).
4. Mount MythVideo directory on Apple TV device; point XBMC to mounted
directory.
5. Play and delete recordings through XBMC.

Of course, you won't be able to add or modify recording schedules or
watch live TV through the Apple TV box, and of course it changes the
way you store your recordings (that is, you'll either have to watch
your recordings through MythVideo on your Myth frontends, or just
switch to XBMC/Plex/Boxee/some other media center for all of your
frontends).

The real attraction here is that the ATV box only costs US$100.
Perfect price point for a bedroom/guest room IMHO.

I just wonder how well the ATV box will handle decoding of high-def
MPEG2 content. My guess: not very well. That's where step 1 above
comes in.