[mythtv-users] Hitachi 3T drives - reliable?

Mattias Vik magion at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 15:57:30 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 16:25, Edgar Matzinger <edgar at edgar-matzinger.nl> wrote:

Old FAT partitions have a limit of 2GiB (4GiB if using 64KiB clusters).
NTFS partitions teoretically have a limit of 16EiB... though I think
basic MBR has a limit of 2TiB, but if using GPT it shouldn't be a
problem.
That said, I've seen people complain several years ago that when using
raid arrays to get 2TiB+, it didn't work in Windows XP, but it did
work in Windows XP x64... not sure why.

As for Linux, Ext3 has a max file size of 2TiB, but max partition size
is 16TiB (if using 4k blocks).

All that said, I have never myself tried using a partition bigger than
2TiB... though I do have 2x 2TiB disks that are not in use atm, so
could put them in Raid0 and test if anyone is interested.
That would not test what happens with how the bios sees a 2TiB+ drive,
but atleast I can test what the OS says about it.

/Mattias