[mythtv-users] No audio with flash-player

Patrick Oglesby octoberblu3 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 15:13:52 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Alan Ferrero <alanf at tin.it> wrote:
> Hi! :)
>
> I searched for a solution through the List archive, but unless I overlooked
> something, I couldn't find any useful information.
>
> My problem: with flash-player, although video is great, there's no audio at
> all! :(
>
> Both MythTV 0.24 and Firefox are affected; sound in every other (non-flash)
> application works just fine.
>
> I'm running Mythbuntu 9.10 (64 bit) and using ALSA; I don't have PulseAudio
> installed (I checked that out) but I strangely do have the following
> packages (because of VLC, I guess): libpulse0, vlc-plugin-pulse,
> libasound2-plugins.
>
> Sound is presently sent to the TV set by HDMI, but in the beginning HD audio
> was enabled on the MB; later, I disabled it in the BIOS as suggested here:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ATI_Radeon_HDMI
>
> In alsamixer there's only iec958 (up & running).
>
> I followed the guide here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Tutorial
> in order to edit my asound.conf which just contains:
>
> ctl.!default {
>   type hw
>   card 0
> }
>
> So, what could it be?
>
> Thanks! :)
>
> Alan

Alan,

Since you are running over HDMI, do you send the audio as PCM or
bitstream something else?  Try running 'iecset' at the command line.
The Data: line will say either 'audio' or 'non-audio'.

'audio' means your sound system is sending PCM audio over the cable,
which is the only thing flash can do to my knowledge.

'non-audio' is when you are bitstreaming DTS, AC3 or some other encoded audio.

If something PCM tries to play at the same time as a bitstreaming
protocol (or sometimes it just gets stuck), you need to stop whatever
audio is playing, and manually reset the data line by executing
'iecset audio on'  You may have to restart Firefox for this to take
effect.

Let us know how it works out for you.

- Patrick