[mythtv-users] Hitachi 3T drives - reliable?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Jan 20 02:31:40 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 07:10:38PM -0700, Calvin Dodge wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Doug Lytle <support at drdos.info> wrote:
> > Calvin Dodge wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm curious, Doug - were your drives retail (in Hitachi boxes), or OEM?
> >>

> After a recent bad experience with OEM Hitachi drives (possibly due to
> poor packaging - out of 8 drives, 2 were DOA, 1 failed a couple of
> days later, and another a week later), I'm now buying only retail
> boxed ones (so none from Newegg). Time will tell if this change
> results in happier drives.

   Now that you guys bring it up, it does seem that the bulk of my own
big-drive problems have been with OEM drives from NewEgg. I had a batch
of 1.5TB Seagate OEM drives where one was just DOA and half of the rest
ended up with a lot of SMART errors in short order. I have been buying
retail drives as replacements and expansion and they seem to be doing
a bit better.