[mythtv-users] FC14, lirc_mod_mce, MS MCE Keyboard. Anybody have this working?

Derek & Cindi Cass cass at casscoenterprises.com
Thu Jan 20 01:26:36 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 23:17 -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> >> What do you see in dmesg after loading up lirc_mod_mce the first time?
> >> Could be that its not binding to your hardware, might not have as complete
> >> a list of supported devices.
> >
> > [    6.415758] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
> > [    6.435874] lirc_mod_mce: Windows Media Center Edition USB IR Keyboard
> > and Transceiver driver for LIRC 0.3.1
> > [    6.435879] lirc_mod_mce: Jon Davies <jon at hedgerows.org.uk>, Ryan
> > Reading, Florian Demski, Daniel Melander <lirc at rajidae.se>, Martin Blatter
> > <martin_a_blatter at yahoo.com>, Dan Conti <dconti at acm.wwu.edu>
> > [    6.774415] lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0
> > [    6.774570] input: Philips eHome Infrared Transceiver as
> > /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-4/input/input4
> > [    6.780356] lirc_mod_mce[2]: Philips eHome Infrared Transceiver on usb2:2
> > [    6.780413] usbcore: registered new interface driver lirc_mod_mce
> >
> >> Does /dev/lirc0 exist?
> >
> > Yes-
> > crw-------   1 root root     61,   0 Jan 15 16:19 lirc0
>
> Then I got nothin'. So far as I know, it ought to be working at that point,
> but maybe Derek has further pointers.

I hadn't noticed, but I don't have the remote keys working with my
setup.  The keyboard keys work just fine, as in A-z, 0-9, arrow keys,
shift, etc., but the Play, Stop, Rec, etc. don't work.  The mouse
pointer works as do the mouse buttons.

I notice that, after doing all of this compiling, re-compiling, yum
installing and removing that I now have slightly different lircd.conf
files in /etc and /etc/lirc.  I'm not sure which one would be used, but
I believe that /etc/lirc/lircd.conf would have first preference
(although I could be wrong).

I had the opposite situation in the very beginning when I was first
mucking with all this.  Play, Stop, etc. worked in irw, but nothing else
did.  Maybe we need to go back to lirc 0.8.5 when lirc_mceusb2 still
existed?  I'll try that tonight if I can.  I think that we should only
expect to see the extended keys in irw (specifically any key that would
exist on the MCE remote) and not see the standard keys.  Mode2 and
irrecord may be different; I haven't tried those yet.

I didn't notice these buttons not working because I really don't intend
to use them.  I just got a Harmony 880 remote from eBay and I was just
going to have it learn key presses from the MCE keyboard and use mostly
all default key mappings as found in Myth TV.