[mythtv-users] HDHomeruns are sensitive to power adapter used.

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Jan 19 18:56:29 UTC 2011

On 1/19/2011 13:50, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 19/01/11 18:34, Greg Oliver wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Greg Oliver<oliver.greg at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> and, power is power..  the HDHRs may have different requirements in
>>> different revisions..  The good thing about powered equipment is it's
>>> simplicity to feed it power..  Match the voltage and you can (except
>>> for non-regulated stuff) feed it reasonably close amps (always go high
>>> though)..
>>>
>>> I have 2 dual hdhr(s), bought a year apart, but unfortunately they
>>> have the same wall warts..
>>>

>> And - btw - remember - just because it powers it up does not mean it
>> is adequate for full power draw..  Much like a pc power supply...
>> Your machine may work just fine runnig a web browser and word
>> processor, but once one of your kids (or you) start up a game that
>> cranks up the power draw from your video card, etc - your machine may
>> lock up..  The hdhrs are no different..
>>
> From the original description given that sounds to me as though the
> old HDHR has a higher power requirement than the newer models - even
> though the same wattage may be stamped on the label.
>
> It's not oftne a good idea to swap power supplies, even though the
> equipment looks the same.

No.  Stop arguing about the power adapter.  This has absolutely nothing
to do with power.  The issue described where accessing the second tuner
causes erratic behavior and failed recordings is due to a bug in
MythTV.  The bug only exists when defining the IP address for the device
directly.  Using the device ID with auto-detection instead works without
issue.  Make sure your HDHomeRun is on the same subnet as your backend,
and let mythtv-setup find your device on its own.