[mythtv-users] Requesting some sample kill a watt meter numbers

Matthew McClement mythtv at macker.co.uk
Wed Jan 19 13:10:57 UTC 2011

On 01/18/2011 11:32 PM, Joe Hickey wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Michael T. Dean
*snip*
>> off the headroom--you /can't/ draw high power (but even when your at load,
>> you're not accomplishing as much as, say a system with a nice Core 2 Duo
>> that may hit higher power draw, but for significantly smaller times--and may
>> idle at equivalent or lower power draw...).
>
> That's actually the exact point I was trying to figure out by starting
> this thread in the first place: is it possible to build a system
> around a "real" processor that idles down near atom-level (say...
> 30w?).   It seems like it's possible in theory; a modern CPU with all
> its power-saving features turned on SHOULD be just burning a watt or
> two at idle.  My observation/theory is that when you go with a
> standard processor, the requisite chipset and "features" on the
> motherboard seem to consume more power than the CPU itself.

No, these days the chipset and CPU draw fairly similar levels of power,
at least with the i series stuff. SPCR's SB review includes the draw of
both the new SB as well as the older Core i stuff, and it's all under
20W at idle(DC draw, you need to factor in power supply inefficiencies
to get the AC figure):

The problem you will run into, however, is that all the *other*
components can have a fairly drastic effect on power draw. Hard drives,
tuners and even fans all draw power and can have a fairly drastic impact
on overall system power draw. All it takes is 2-3 idle 3.5" 7200rpm 4
platter drives to to exceed the total power draw of the CPU and chipset
at idle...

Matt