[mythtv-users] Requesting some sample kill a watt meter numbers

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Jan 18 21:04:25 UTC 2011

On 1/18/2011 15:45, Greg Oliver wrote:
> While I share your same opinion on the Atoms, I have to jump in and
> also say that all of the low power capable cpus that throttle down to
> the same power usage all exhibit the same issue - and that is they
> throttle more than the cpu, and starve other components.  This hampers
> high bitrate playback, and renders them useless as well..

That's not at all true.  The only time I have ever heard of clock
stepping causing problems with VDPAU playback were on older AMD systems
using integrated nVidia video.  The memory controller would downclock
with the processor, and since the graphics chip had no memory of its
own, it would be starved for bandwidth and stutter.  This is not the
case when using modern processors, and was never the case when using
discrete graphics.