[mythtv-users] PS3 keys

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Jan 18 00:35:30 UTC 2011

On 1/17/2011 17:36, Matt Mossholder wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com
> <mailto:raymond at wagnerrp.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 1/17/2011 16:49, Johan Heikkilä wrote:
>
>         I bought the older model instead of the slim, for the purpose
>         of being able to install Linux on it. I wasn't happy at all
>         when Sony disabled the feature that I had bought by forcing a
>         firmware upgrade.
>

>     The point I'm trying to make is that the PS3 is of little use as a
>     HTPC.  It's fine if you're using the GameOS with its limited codec
>     support over UPnP, but it simply doesn't have the power to run
>     software decoding for normal Linux media players.  You can do
>     standard definition video, but will struggle on anything HD.  The
>     hardware has been available for several years, with only minimal
>     progress towards writing video decoders that ran on the SPE.  The
>     master key being found and used to access the system without the
>     hypervisor is not going to make a bit of difference.
>

> Actually, it is going to make a difference. The one big thing the
> hypervisor didn't give access to was the graphics hardware. With
> direct access to the GPU, you open the door to moving into HD level
> processing, rather than having to rely on the SPE for everything.

HD level processing? What are you talking about?  The most the graphics
card will provide is OpenGL support, and that's only if the Nouveau
project can get it working.  At most, it's a video output method, a
(better) alternative to the old XVideo.

You still have to decode the video, and the PPE simply won't cut it for
anything HD.  The PS3 has been out for over four years now, and people
still have not written worthwhile video decoders capable of using the
SPEs.  The fact that there is now one extra SPE that can be used is not
going to make any difference.