[mythtv-users] still having remote troubles with Fedora 14/Harmony

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Tue Jan 18 00:02:32 UTC 2011

I just upgraded my FE/BE system from F13 to F14 (for various reasons).
Everything is working pretty well now except the Harmony remote (which
worked fine under F13). I have read several previous threads about
similar problems and I have tried the fixes there, but I am obviously
missing something because I am still having the same problem previously
described: remote key presses are being received and acted on multiple
times.

I have a Streamzap receiver and a Harmony 700 remote. Both remotes have
the "bouncing" problem, but it is worse on the Harmony. In both cases,
if I am really quick with the button press, it will work properly. Just
a hair too long and I get a bounce. The difference is that the Streamzap
is a little more tolerant than the Harmony. I have to have REALLY short
button presses on the Harmony to avoid multiple responses.

What I have done:

1) echo lirc  > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols

(in rc.local)

2) used the troubleshoot section of the Harmony programming to set the
"device responds too much to some commands" value to the lowest setting
(zero)

3) On the Harmony, held down the Help button and set the Inter-device
delay down to zero.

4) Added "repeat = 2"  to every key in my lircrc file.

Changing the Harmony-related settings helped a little, but since the
Streamzap is also much more sensitive than it was under F13, there has
to be something else going on than just Harmony settings. Even with the
Streamzap, the WAF is going down because it is a pain to use even the
Streamzap now.

Oh yeah: keyboard control works fine and I am running the latest F14
kernel 2.6.35.10-74.fc14.x86_64

Anything else I can try? The Harmony is pretty much useless for using
with Myth right now because it is SO picky about the length of the
button press.

Thank you,

--Greg