[mythtv-users] Dish Network Channel Changing Script

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Mon Jan 17 13:18:47 UTC 2011

On 1/15/2011 1:48 PM, Patrick Marconi wrote:
> Does anyone have a good Dish Network Channel Changing Script, I've
> tried several versions over time and none of them seem to get around
> the problem of getting stuck a t somepoint due to a schedule download
> or just ending up in "Customer Service" mode.
> Patrick
I use this one -
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/dish-change-channel-lirc.sh
and it works fine. I do sometimes need to change the time at which the
box is going to check for updates to keep it from ruining a recording.
That can be done under preferences on the VIP STB. I keep it set for 4am
usually. I also keep an eye on upcoming recordings and if something is
going to record at that time I temporarily change the update setting.

Another thing to note with Dish is that the Dish guide can be toggled
between HD Only, Subscribed Channels and All Channels. You need to set
it on Subscribed channels and then hide the remote. I learned the hard
way that if it is set to HD Only and Myth tries to tune a non-HD channel
it goes the the nearest HD channel and Myth happily records the wrong
channel.