[mythtv-users] Back-to-back recordings

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Mon Jan 17 05:00:05 UTC 2011

On 01/16/2011 07:42 PM, George Nassas wrote:
> On 2011-01-16, at 6:09 PM, Douglas Peale wrote:
>> On 01/16/2011 01:54 PM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
>>> Have you tried setting "Avoid back to back recordings" to "Always"?
>>> This is found in Setup > TV Settings > Recording Priorities > Set
>>> Recording Priorities > Page 1.  This works perfectly for my 2 HDHRs (4
>>> tuners total), though I don't use multirec.
>> I don't wish to avoid back to back recordings, with multi-rec and the hard extra recording time it works fine.
>> The problem was that with soft extra recording time, the extra recording time got disabled when it did not need to be disabled.
> Jim is telling you how to get soft padding to work. "Avoid back to back recordings" means on a given tuner.  You still get back to back recordings but the scheduler puts them on separate virtual tuners of the same physical tuner thus allowing both to capture with their soft padding intact. I use it all the time and it works great.
>
> - George

"avoid back to back recordings from different channels" has three choices, none of them documented. "never" "different channels"
and "always"

This is how it is documented:
"If set, the scheduler will avoid assigning shows from different channels to the same card if their end time and start time
match. This will be allowed when necessary in order to resolve conflicts. "

It is not clear at all which setting this applies to, or what the other two options do.

I think I need to clear up something here about how I have my setup and why.
I have an early start of 10 minutes and a late end of 10 minutes. Why? because the down arrow jumps by 10 minutes, so I can jump
right to the beginning of the show, and also know that if the show started early, I have a recording of the whole show and can
skip back to find the beginning.
When I had a combination of soft and hard early start (5 minutes each) sometimes I would get 5 minutes of preshow recording, and
sometimes 10 minutes. That means that sometimes the soft early start was not being applied even though there was no conflict
with any other tuner (the 5 minute hard early start guaranteed this).
So, using "avoid back to back recordings" would not help if all it does is guarantee different (virtual) tuners are used for
back to back recordings.

I would be willing to go back to the soft early start and late end iff (not a spelling error, means if and only if) the only
time that the soft early start or soft late end were deleted is if there was no way to schedule two recordings without a channel
change on the same tuner. With my current set up, that situation is unlikely, but in that situation, I would miss one of the
recordings.