[mythtv-users] OT: So I learned today that some TVs are picky about the HDMI cable.

Dave Richardson mythtv at derdev.com
Mon Jan 17 02:18:51 UTC 2011

 I had used the same ZOTAC ION FE and the same HDMI cable to two
 different LCD TVs over the last years - a Sharp Aquos LCD and a Toshiba
 LCD.

 Upon testing of my new Panasonic Viera plasma, on startup I couldn't
 even see the ZOTAC bootup splash screen.  Zero screen output from this
 FE on any HDMI input port (using the same cable).

 I had read about this being an HDMI cable "sensitivity" issue in the
 Panasonic Viera forums (although I mumbled "bull$hit" at the
 suggestion).  On a lark, I replaced the HDMI cable with a newer HDMI
 cable (for like $5) and the system came to life immediately!  I'm pretty
 sure the prior cable was more costly and still HDMI 1.3 compliant, so
 I'm not sure why this new cable is "good".

 I don't have much more to offer on technical learnings/details... just
 a "whooda thunkit" moment... please omit any snark if everybody else
 knew this to be true.