[mythtv-users] IR Remote, OpenSUSE, and weirdness

Rob Verduijn rob.verduijn at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 10:35:07 UTC 2011

Hi,

2011/1/14 Robin Smith <1canuck2 at gmail.com>

> But you could save yourself a lot of headache by upgrading to opensuse
>> 11.3.
>> Here's the myth howto for 11.3 http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/OpenSuSE_11.3
>> (There is no mention of the perl devel repo, but adding it saves a lot of
>> trouble as well.
>>
>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/perl/openSUSE_11.3/
>> )
>>

> OK, I have updated to 11.3 using the "zypper dup" process (it took a
> while). Everything seems good so far (as in MythTV is still working the way
> it was before.)
> My kernel is now 2.6.34.7-0.7-desktop
>

>> Again, upgrading to opensuse 11.3 removed all problems for me, no more
>> patched lirc/lcdproc/kernel for me, the default that came with the release
>> works fine.
>>

> I am still not getting the remote to work in MythTV :(
>
> Something that bothered my ir communication was the boot order,
>> earlyxdm was preventing the starting of lirc and lcdproc for my system
>> sometimes, so disabling it solved it.
>> Drawback is that your system will boot a bit slower.
>>

> Did you mean you had to do this fix in 11.3? If my irw is returning output,
> would this imply I do not need this step? I tried disabling earlyxdm in the
> Yast > System Services (Runlevel) interface, but it kicked me out of X and
> when I rebooted, it was still enabled...

I have earlyxdm disabled in opensuse 11.3 for my mythtv frontend, it is
still needed because lcdproc and lirc refuse to work properly when I leave
it enabled.
(lcdproc depends on lirc and is needed for the display on my antec veris
box)

> Anyway, I have removed the Antec Veris and am focusing on using the
> built-in IR receiver on the iMon VFD.
> lsusb shows:
>
>>  Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
>>
>> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
>>
>> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
>>
>> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
>>
>> Bus 004 Device 002: ID 1997:0409
>>
>> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
>>
>> Bus 005 Device 002: ID 099a:7202 Zippy Technology Corp.
>>
>> Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
>>
>> Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
>>
>> Bus 007 Device 002: ID 0dc6:2011 Precision Squared Technology Corp.
>>
>> Bus 007 Device 003: ID 15c2:ffdc SoundGraph Inc. iMON PAD Remote
>>> Controller
>>

> I removed the usbhid quirks line from modprobe.d (it only applied to the
> Veris anyway, which I am now not using)
>
> If I start lircd and run irw, I get key press output. I am using the
> lircd.conf and lircrc files I posted earlier.

Ok if irw gives output when you pres a key your remote and reciever are
working.

Did you put the proper configuration file for the remote in /etc/lircd.conf
?
That is the file that defines which hex code belongs to which key.
It has nothing to do with myth yet, but it is required.

example configs are provided by the lirc-remotes rpm.
Zypper should be able to find that one.
The rpm installs the examples in /usr/share/lirc/remotes

You already have created an lircrc file in the .mythtv.
Put it in the homefolder of the user that you use to watch mythtv.
/home/user/.mythtv/lircrc

In mythtv
utilities/setup->setup->general->8xnext
make sure the path to the socket is correct
verify if the socket is there
ls -als /var/run/lirc/lircd

notice that the group of that file is video ( I think this is your culprit)
add your mythtv user to the video group
and add the mythtv user to the audio group as well (I did that because it
prevents errors in the mythtv logs)

The option LIRC keypress application is there in case you want to run
scripts like irwatch.

But I think adding mythtv to the video group will solve your problems, since
you need to be a member of that group to access the socket.
And by default myth is not a member, so that could explain your problem.

sorry about not mentioning it earlier, it is typical one of those settings
you do 4 upgrades ago and completely forget about.

> Am I correct that the lircd.conf file must "good", in that (for example)
> irw shows:
>  irw
> 000000002a8115b7 00 KEY_PLAY /tmp/lircd.record.conf
> 000000002a8115b7 01 KEY_PLAY /tmp/lircd.record.conf
> 000000002a8115b7 02 KEY_PLAY /tmp/lircd.record.conf
> 000000002a8115b7 00 KEY_PLAY /tmp/lircd.record.conf
>
> when I press the "Play" button on my remote?
>
> If so, am I correct that all that *should* be needed to make this work in
> MythTV is this:
>
> begin
>     prog = mythtv
>     button = KEY_PLAY
>     config = P
> end

here's some examples from my config
It's not the full config (300+ lines) but I made sure the important begin
and end tags are there.
There are 2 modes for the veris rm200, one in which it acts as a normal
remote, and one in shich it acts as a mouse and keyboard which is usefull
when for some reason you are dumped to a login screen and are to lazy to get
up to press the power button.
Notice the extra begin and end  entries for the modes to deal with this.
The first block makes sure the system starts in ordinary remote mode, the
key to switch mode is defined last.

 begin
  flags = startup_mode
  mode = mythtv
 end

 *begin mythtv*
 begin
     remote = Antec_Veris_RM200
     prog = mythtv
     button = KEY_7
     config = 7
     repeat = 0
     delay = 0
 end

 begin
     remote = Antec_Veris_RM200
     prog = mythtv
     button = KEY_PLAY
     config = P
     repeat = 0
     delay = 0
 end

 begin
     remote = Antec_Veris_RM200
     prog = mythtv
     button = KEY_NEXT
     config = Z
     repeat = 0
     delay = 0
 end

 begin
     remote = Antec_Veris_RM200
     prog = mythtv
     button = KEY_PREVIOUS
     config = Q
     repeat = 0
     delay = 0
 end

 begin
     remote = Antec_Veris_RM200
     button = MouseKeyboard
     repeat = 3
     flags = mode
     mode = X11
 end

* end mythtv*

 *begin X11*

 begin
     remote = Antec_Veris_RM200
     button = MouseKeyboard
     repeat = 3
     flags = mode
     mode = mythtv
 end
*
 end X11*

> in my lircrc file (and the lircrc file in the correct place)?
>
> If so, how come it still doesn't work? Is there another step I am missing
> to make myth aware of the keypress info? As I said before,
> this previously "just worked" once I got good output from irw that matched
> my lircrc.
>
> Speaking of correct place, I run mythfrontend as root, not as my mythtv
> user.
>
> I have the lircrc file here:
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc

if mythtv is the user that you use to watch mythtv this is the correct
location

> I have a link (ln -s) to this file in the following locations:
> /home/mythtv/.lircrc
> /root/.mythtv/lircrc
> /root/.lircrc

These are not needed