[mythtv-users] will this TV work for me?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Jan 14 21:52:28 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:
> OK I'm a bit confused by conflicting advice and my own ignorance of how all
> this works. So a 1920x1080 (aspect ratio 1.77) panel will scale 720x480
> material (aspect ratio 1.5) without distortion? Does this just work
> automagically?

Don't confuse pixel ratios with aspect ratios.  The two are different
because when standard definition material is digitized it usually uses
non-square pixels.  720x480 is what's usually used for 4:3 broadcasts.
 If the pixels were square, it would be 640x480.  Modern LCD's all
have square pixels natively, but with CRT's the definition of pixels
in the horizontal direction is a little fuzzy.

But in the end, yes, it just works more or less automatically.  If
there's an aspect ratio mismatch, most systems offer a way to adjust
that manually.

> 5 years from now I won't be using a $200 5-year old panel anymore, so
> future-proofing is moot.

I usually try to make my stuff last a little longer than that, but you
circumstances may be different.

Eric