[mythtv-users] Mapping of play button on my remote

E. Westbrook mythtv-users at westbrook.com
Fri Jan 14 17:50:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 05:17, Frans Grotepass <fmgrotepass at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> CTRL+P is not explained in the key bindings link on the wiki.

Well, perhaps not quite directly so... but there are indeed bread crumbs to
follow.  For me, the key clue was hiding in this page of default key
bindings:

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html

Under "Watching TV or a Recording", in the explanation of the P binding, is
this elusive little nugget of wisdom:

You may also add an explicit keybinding for 'Play' through MythWeb,
> returning you to normal speed if you are in slow motion, rewind fast forward
> or pause mode.

In my case, when I went to my mythweb key binding settings, I found that
CTRL+P was already bound to the correct play operation.  I never added that
myself, so I have to speculate that it must be (or must have been) a
default.  But I wouldn't have known had I not investigated.

In any case, with that binding already there, I only had to modify my LIRC
mapping for the play button, assigning it to send CTRL+P instead of P.

> Does this do a forced play in both situations? In that case it is the
> required behaviour.

It certainly does, for me anyway.

To the list:  Is there any reason this mapping shouldn't be the default (if
it's not), and as such, added to the above link and perhaps elsewhere?

This seems like such a natural user expectation of playback control
behavior, to me anyway, that unless I'm missing something, I think it should
definitely be "normal" and "default".

> Indeed, it is required for WAF += 1;

Quite so, around these parts anyway. :)

$0.02,