[mythtv-users] Where to find Myth Setup Information?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 11 21:40:30 UTC 2011

On 01/10/2011 07:41 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
> which is why I ask for this post to be viewed as
> an observation, and not a criticism!
>
> The particular passage the OP identified, on setting up a capture
> card, says (as previously quoted) "Choose the appropriate settings for
> your particular tuner. Use the arrow keys to move around and to make
> your choices, and press RETURN when complete. Pressing RETURN will
> take you back to the Capture Cards screen; if you have additional
> capture cards in this machine, press the space bar when the highlight
> is on the (New Capture Card) row to define another card."
>
> Now you don't have to be around myth for long to know that is a VERY
> once over lightly version of what you need to do to set up a capture
> card.

I agree that that is very much 'once over lightly'. But earlier the
point is made that myth will not work if the underlying hardware does
not work. It is (rather unfortunately) assumed and not explicitly stated
at that point, that the hardware must be working properly ALREADY.

The external steps required to set up a new card are assumed to have
been completed. If you have not installed the firmware, for example,
there is nothing you can do within myth, to get that card to work. It is
impossible to do. And that is NOT myth's failure.

I agree however, that to many unknowledgable users it *IS* myth's fault.
(Those are properly 'ignorant' users: those who do not know, but since I
do not mean it in a pejorative sense 'unknowledgable can be a substitute.).

A warning could and should be added to the mythtv-setup program to
explain this.

Geoff