[mythtv-users] Where to find Myth Setup Information?

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jan 11 07:26:14 UTC 2011

On 10/01/2011 6:40 a.m., mark Deneen wrote:
> I've
> been installing applications on computers since about 1982 and never
> have seen anything like this.

Mythtv is up to version number is 0.24, its not 0.9, 0.99, 1.02, or even
7.  Its not had billions of investment.

It arguably might be higher than 0.24, but that's where its got to.
There is plenty of history in why its as it is now, and the majority of
users achieve considerably more than you have managed.  Why is that
might one suppose?

It does require considerable time investment, like any number of projects.

Well, it's not actually an application is
> it?

Have you heard of Google or Youtube?  They would welcome you as a friend.

It's a programmer's lego kit, or something?

Its what you put into it.

> The menu makes it look like it would do a lot.

Yep, its an international conspiracy, contributed by hundreds of people
looking to trap you.  Looks like they got you.  {End of not serious
paragraph}

I can give examples where open source does things multinational
corporations with all their resources fail to do.  And open source can
do it any time.  The open source community is worth getting to know and
contribute to, like it or not you will almost certainly use open source
applications and probably already unwittingly do.

Take some time to study the wealth of information, come to benefit and
find out how to contribute and assist improve the no doubt valid
observations so that your forebears have an even better experience.

Mythtv is an uncommon community that is continually ratcheting a work in
ways I can and also cannot conceive.

Have a look at https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commits/master and ask
yourself the question whether this is a dead piece of computer code? For
me it tells all about the work that is going on mythtv all the time -
internationally.

Tell me another application that you can modify (yourself if you have
the skills, or even pay someone to do what you want) to suit your own
requirements and desirements?  For example check out mythdroid.

I also think that if you'd taken the trouble to engage more
constructively with the developers you may have been amazed how hard it
is to suggest or advance something they are not already aware of and
have well considered.  They are a huge talent pool who almost certainly
will continue doing what they do irrespective of your efforts.

My farthings worth.  (Ambiguity intended)