[mythtv-users] Building new Mythtv Box

Joe jfwd at phlobus.net
Mon Jan 10 16:43:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:35 AM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> Ditch the Nvidia 6200. You have FIOS so you get HD. You really need at least
> a 9500GT or newer (GT220 etc) for vdpau to lower the load on the CPU. That
> CPU will work, but will be stressed if you are recording and playing at the
> same time.

I agree with everything Geoff said except the above comment about
needing VDPAU... My current main BE/FE is using the onboard Geforce
6150 LE ... Records on all three tuners (dual HDHomeRun + PVR-150) and
simultaneously plays back HD to our LCD TV just fine.  CPU is an older
dual core Athlon (5200+ speed grade maybe?) but it's nowhere near it's
limits.

My suggestion would be to try it first.  I think it'll be fine.

As for the "best distro", it's whatever your most familiar with.

Good luck!
-Joe