[mythtv-users] Where to find Myth Setup Information?

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 10 08:29:34 UTC 2011

On 10 January 2011 08:08, mark Deneen <mdeneen9000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM, mark Deneen <mdeneen9000 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Get as haughty and insulted and defensive as you like. It makes me laugh,
>>> actually. I may be the dumbest user you've ever heard of, but I have 5
>>> computers and dozens of large applications I've purchased and installed, and
>>> please trust me on this - - none of them have this level of McGuyver
>>> bailing-wire nonsense associated with their installation or use. Have I ever
>>> had to recompile parts of a program to get it to work? Uh, no.
>>
>> Well, I guess MythTV may not be a good fit for you then.  MythTV is not a
>> simple application, and although there is work in progress to make setup
>> simpler, it will always be a somewhat complicated application to setup, I'd
>> expect.  And yes, it usually will require recompilation unless you are using
>> a package created by someone for your use.
>> If you would like to help make the documentation better, I'm sure your
>> contributions would be welcomed.  Simply dumping all over the project and
>> the developers because the documentation isn't up to your standards isn't
>> terribly productive.  This is open source...  contributing is the way to
>> make it better, not arguments, and certainly not by attacking those who do
>> contribute.
>>

> Right. It's not a good fit, and I won't be using it. That's understood since
> this evening. What's not understood is my complaint. I am not trying to
> "argue" with anyone. I am trying to give feedback to those who might make
> use of it, but those people are so defensive they don't comprehend the value
> of what I am saying.
>
> Let's look at the opening paragraph on the MythTV home page: "MythTV is a
> Free Open Source software digital video recorder (DVR) project distributed
> under the terms of the GNU GPL. It has been under heavy development since
> 2002, and now contains most features one would expect from a good DVR (and
> many new ones that you soon won't be able to live without)."
>
> That opening is absolutely misleading to regular computer users
> (non-programmers) who think you are offering an application. Heavy
> development for 9 years? I think a typical user is going to expect a level
> of accomplishment after 9 years that would rival a major commercial
> application that they are used to acquiring. Part-time is no excuse. If it
> isn't working after 9 years, someone ought to recognize that the original
> design specification was too ambitious. "Open Source" should not become a
> crutch, or an excuse. It's fast becoming a euphemism for "don't expect
> much," and that's not going to bode well for what you are trying to
> accomplish.
>
> Here's what that opening graph ought to say if the developers were honest
> about this product: "This is a difficult set of programs to setup and
> [...]

Misleading is a highly subjective phrase and at the end of the day
it's only your opinion perhaps formed from your own inadequacies.

The reality is that you have your opinions based upon years of
prejudice, malaise and an apparent lack of self worth.  To describe
yourself as an engineer and marketeer shows a profound lack of
understanding of MythTV, your own communication capabilities and how
to address your issues in a constructive and sensible way.

It's apparent to me your comments were designed to rattle some cages,
your feedback is neither constructive nor objective and as such I will
treat you as the troll you so obviously are.

I'll post no more in this thread and would recommend others not feed
the troll, we've all got far better things to do with our time.

I'll entertain no more