[mythtv-users] Hauppauge Announces PCI-E Replacement for HD-PVR

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 03:43:41 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Dave Badia <dbadia at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice to see a PCI-E formfactor for the HD-PVR.
> With the current HD-PVR, firmware updates are only possible via
> windows, I wonder if the same will be true for the PCI-E version?
> This restriction is easy to overcome (assuming you have at least 1
> windows machine somewhere) with the USB interface, but with a PCI-E
> interface it gets a bit messy.  Seems you have to rip the card out and
> switch it to a desktop windows box (laptop isn't an option) or dual
> boot the myth box.

My expectation would be that it would end up working like most other
PCI/PCI-E based cards out there in that firmware (if needed) would be loaded
from a /lib/firmware directory or the like.  If that were the case, then a
firmware upgrade would be as simple as replacing the file in /lib/firmware
with a new one, then reloading the driver.  That's the "normal" method for
that type of card.  The HD-PVR was different as it was USB-based.

Of course, we shall see, but I doubt that it will be any more of an issue
for this card as it would be for, say, the HVR-2250.  For many cards, you
need to load the firmware at each bootup anyways, so why would an upgrade be
difficult?  And I'm sure that they thought that through more than
adequately. :)