[mythtv-users] Need "life without cable" clarification

Keith Pyle kpyle at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 8 19:05:16 UTC 2011

Martin Lynch wrote:
>> > Are there any options to have my
>> > MythTV backend download (like "record") online videos when they become
>> > available (if I "scheduled/subscribed" to the "show") for me to watch
>> > later using a frontend?
> I'm sure there are better ways, but when you watch flash videos, the
> file gets stored in /tmp until you close the web page. In the past, if
> I've watched a flash video I want to keep, I've simply played the video,
> left the browser window open, gone to /tmp and copied the temp file to
> wherever I want to store it (renaming it along the way, as it is usually
> some goofy alpha-numeric combination). I imagine a script could be made ...
Take a look at get_flash_videos, a (rather large) perl script designed
for just this purpose.  It contains plug-ins to work with a considerable
number of sites, including Youtube, Hulu, etc.  It's invoked as:

get_flash_videos URL_of_video

For most sites, it can find flash video URL's within a page so you don't
have to manually locate the specific URL for the flash file.  gentoo
users can just emerge it.  I don't know if it's packaged for other
distros, but you can get it at http://code.google.com/p/get-flash-videos/

Keith