[mythtv-users] Need "life without cable" clarification

Martin Lynch martin.lynch.toronto at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 02:55:33 UTC 2011

> Are there any options to have my
> MythTV backend download (like "record") online videos when they become
> available (if I "scheduled/subscribed" to the "show") for me to watch
> later using a frontend?
I'm sure there are better ways, but when you watch flash videos, the
file gets stored in /tmp until you close the web page. In the past, if
I've watched a flash video I want to keep, I've simply played the video,
left the browser window open, gone to /tmp and copied the temp file to
wherever I want to store it (renaming it along the way, as it is usually
some goofy alpha-numeric combination). I imagine a script could be made
(provided you know where and when to get your flash content, ie a new
arrival via your rss feed should be able to trigger the script) to
automatically go to the website, play the flash video, and once playback
is finished (or some preset time has elapsed) copy the temp file from
/tmp to wherever and then close the web site. The script would have to,
I guess, have a look at /tmp _before_ opening the web page and then
again _after _ opening the page to compare the files, such that it can
determine which file to copy, since the file name of the temp files
appears to be arbitrary. If it knows what used to be in /tmp and knows
what is in /tmp after opening the web page, it should be able to
determine what the temp flash file is called.

Mind you, I have no idea _how_ to do this, but I'm fairly certain it
could be done...

--

Kind regards,

Martin