[mythtv-users] Need "life without cable" clarification

Alan Anderson andersonas at comcast.net
Fri Jan 7 22:35:52 UTC 2011

We made that same decison to cut the cable tv cord.

Mythtv one backend two frontends.  Two HDHomeruns, with  Wineguard antenna in
the attic.  RG6QS run down to a EDA-2802 Drop amp and 8 RG6QS runs to outlets.

MythTV .24 but my frontends are ION motherboards.  While the ION and
Nvidia/hdpau is great for full screen HD playback.  It is not so good for full
screen flash playback from Hulu.  So mythtv internet doesnt work (Low WAF
rating) on my setup.  A frontend with enough CPU horse power for decent flash
playback would be best on the front end.   So as a test go to Hulu with firefox
on your frontend and see how it acts in full screen.   As far as I know you
cant record anything from Hulu.

Roku for netflix and Huluplus (nonweb recordings)  and I added a playonTV
server for hulu web playback   While playontv is a Windows app it alows full
screen playback from hulu via the Roku playontv channel.  Would love to see a
linux replacement for playontv.