[mythtv-users] Need "life without cable" clarification

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Jan 7 21:34:45 UTC 2011

On 1/7/2011 16:03, Lonnie Borntreger wrote:
> I read that MythTV (0.24 to be exact - I'm currently running 0.21)
> mentions being able to utilize online video sources. So here's what I
> need clarified.... am I understanding correctly that for online
> sources MythTV just becomes an RSS aggregator and opens a browser or
> the hulu desktop for viewing the online videos? Are there any options
> to have my MythTV backend download (like "record") online videos when
> they become available (if I "scheduled/subscribed" to the "show") for
> me to watch later using a frontend?

Effectively, yes.  MythNetvision manages grabber scripts (and RSS feeds)
which provides lists of available on-demand content.  Most of the
content opens up in a flash player from within MythBrowser.  In 0.23 and
0.24, you really need a mouse to manage focus with the flash player.  In
0.25, there is support for the grabber scripts to define how to control
the flash player through the remote.

MythNetvision supports downloaded content, for the few sites that make
such available, but it will still be on-demand.  It will not
automatically download everything from a specific channel to make it
available.