[mythtv-users] Loads of failed / empty recordings.

~Stack~ i.am.stack at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 04:41:28 UTC 2011

I think I may have figured it out.
*fingers crossed*
*knock on wood*
*any other silly superstition that might help me out*

It happened again last night. Two recordings going at the same time, one
tuner was jumping back and forth between the two channels, and the other
recording failed out and was listed as 'empty'. The /only/ thing that
was sticking in my head as being seriously off was the line in the logs
"MPEGRec(/dev/video0) Error: StartEncoding failed eno: Device or
resource busy (16)".

Why?!?!

Of course /dev/video0 was busy. It was supposed to be recording already.
So I toyed around with a bunch of settings and instead of this happening
every once in a while, I could make it occur /every time/ I set two
recordings to overlap.

Then I had a thought. This issue started when I made two big changes. I
switched to 0.24 and I added the HDHomeRun. The issues also appeared to
go away when I removed the HDHomeRun. The issues _always_ have that
error of 'device or resource busy'. What if something somewhere goofed
up when I added the HDHomeRun as a capture card? What if it was trying
to use a single device twice?

I dug around in the settings and things look good. Everything appeared
to be in working order. Still same issue.

So I deleted all capture cards.

I re-added everything and checked every option twice to make sure
everything was in proper order.

It works!

At least so far. I have only done a few recordings by scheduling
everything for the next chunk of time in the guide data, but it hasn't
failed yet. No empty recordings so far. No switching back and forth.
Just everything working as it should.

I think something just got a little off somewhere somehow.

If it happens again, I will post back with all the details I can. If it
doesn't happen again in a few weeks, I will reply to let anyone else who
might read this in the future know.

Thanks to everyone who helps out with this great project!

~Stack~