[mythtv-users] HDHomerun Prime update

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jan 7 01:43:41 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Justin Johnson" <justin.johnson3 at gmail.com>

> From the post:
> "Now look what we have here, the long awaited HDHomeRun Prime triple
> CableCARD tuner for Windows 7 Media Center. Originally announced at
> CES last year, the little black perforated box is already in
> production and will soon be selling for $250 after it makes it ways
> through the final stages of CableLabs certification. The sad fact is
> there is no way to know when that cert will be sealed, but when it is
> you'll be able to pre-order and then you can expect to receive it 30
> days later. The other little tidbits we picked up from the booth is
> that SiliconDust is working on a six tuner rack mountable version that
> should ship later this year and that the ATSC and QAM version we've
> loved for years has a new case a new price of $129 and will be
> shipping in February."

So, now comes the important question:

Will the 3- and 6-tuner units be able to simultaneously tune that many channels
*all of which require the CableCard to do something* *simultaneously*.

And, isn't the industry about to *replace* CableCard with the Next Big Thing,
such that you won't actually be able to *get* a CableCard anymore?

Anyone understand why I have little love for technology products that *require*
something else provided by someone else which can practically be cancelled?

You want my CDPD modems?  Analog TVs?  AMPS cell phones?

You can have em free...

Cheers,
-- jra