[mythtv-users] stereo and 5.1?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Jan 5 16:48:57 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 22:01 -0500, Jack Lockard wrote:
> > Provided you have an hdmi TV or a TV with spdif in, you can then have
> > PC -> TV -> amplifier
>
> My TV -- Panasonic Viera PZ85 -- only passes through 2 channels to the
> optical out when the audio comes in through hdmi.

So did a Samsung I bought, and took back for this exact reason.  Got an
LG instead and it passes through DD and DTS (to get 5.1 channels to the
receiver).

> I didn't realize this
> beforehand, but apparently this common 'feature' with most TVs.

Common.  Perhaps.  Lame?  Yes, always.

As long as the source does not flag the content as protected, there is
no reason or obligation not to pass through DD or DTS over an optical
connection from the TV to the receiver, IMHO.  Any TV that does is just
being lame, again, IMHO.

b.