[mythtv-users] How many people in the UK would buy a DVB-T2 PCI-E with working drivers?

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Jan 5 14:20:07 UTC 2011

On 05/01/11 13:53, Andre wrote:

> On 5 Jan 2011, at 13:27, Simon Hobson wrote:
>
>> Andre wrote:
>>
>>> Surely dual would be a bit excessively future proof at this stage, I'd doubt there will be a second T2 mux in the UK for some years and a T1 tuner is extremely cheap. Multirec would get you all the HD channels with one tuner.
>>
>> But why put two cards in your scarce slots when you can put one dual-tuner card in ?
>
> Why pay for two expensive DVBT2 tuners when you can only use one for the foreseeable future? Just in raw silicon terms for the demod DVBT2 =$20-$30, DVBT=$2, I understand that a better (=more expensive) tuner is generally required as well.
>
> So far every dual tuner card I have or have read about seems to have problems when both tuners are used simultaneously, it's very unlikely I'll buy a dual tuner device again, they are not so useful when only used independently :-P

I'm now getting good dvb-t recordings from both tuners in my 704J usb
stick; it's still the third and fourth tuner, so not used intensively,
but Project-X sees no more glitches than from the other (PCI card)
devices.  That's with the f13 kernel and firmware 4.95.0.  Maplin may
still have them.

As for the original topic: no such signals yet, and no real plans for
upgrading, so interest, while real, is limited and subject to later
revision.