[mythtv-users] seeking upgrade advice 0.20 -> 0.23 backend database

Ross Camm rossco at whyza.net
Tue Jan 4 21:11:15 UTC 2011

I have been running on mythtv 0.20 for over 4 years and have not wanted to
upgrade ( its complicated )...until now

I want to go from 0.20 to 0.23 as unbuntu 10.04 is on 0.23, which is on
all clients.

the reason for finally upgrading is moving  to HD on ASUS AT5IONT-I and it
needs VDPAU...not available in 0.20...so time to move forward.

Backend questions are:

1. Can I upgrade straight from 0.20 to 0.23 using ? Will the database be
migrated in this case ? Do I need to run scripts or does an upgrade
magically happen upon backend startup ? Any known issues ?

2. My current backend is Debian Lenny ( 4.0 ). I know I have no hope of
installing 0.23 as a debian package on this, but if I compile the source
on ubuntu 10.04, what are the chances of a 'make install' on Lenny
resulting in a successful backend running ? Will this also perform an
'upgrade' of the database ?

3. Finally, if I can't get 0.23 on lenny, how would I migrate the backend
to ubuntu 10.4 to then 'upgrade/install' using deb package management,
while still keeping the database intact ?

Any insight appreciated.
Thanks