[mythtv-users] Combined BE/FE to stand-alone BE

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 19:34:04 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Chris Harland <cwharland at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
> Currently I have a working BE/FE computer but I'd like to move to a
> stand-alone BE (no monitor/keyboard) and a C2D mac mini as a FE near the TV.
>  My question is...can I just backup my database and recordings, reinstall
> mythbuntu on my current combined BE/FE and set it up as a BE only then
> restore the database and recordings on the BE or will that mess up the BE
> config (i.e. will restoring the database make the machine think it's
> a combined machine again)?  Then I could just setup the mac mini like normal
> and point it to the BE.
> Even sillier question...is there any reason I couldn't just modify the
> current combined install to act as a stand alone and uninstall all traces of
> frontend stuff from the machine or do I have to reinstall?
> Thanks,
> Chris Harland

I'll respond with bottom posting...

unless your plan is to modify the overall hardware of your combined
system when moving to a backend only, you don't need to do anything
other than either removing the frontend packages (depending on your
distribution and whether you compiled from scratch or used the package
management), or just disabling the frontend and X from running at
boot.

Give us some more information on the current machine setup and what
your hoping to do.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!