[mythtv-users] 2 USB or not 2 USB

James Crow crow.jamesm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 17:25:21 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 2:49 AM, E. Westbrook <mythtv-users at westbrook.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 23:02, kanetse at gmail.com <kane.tse at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Personally, if I didn't have my existing USB stick, I would go for a
>> dual-tuner internal card.
>
> Can you (or anyone) happen to recommend such a dual-tuner internal card for
> MythTV use, and know where they might be obtainable in the US?  Are any of
> them PCI-e, do we know?
>
> Thanks!
>
> EW

I use a Hauppauge HVR-2250 PCI-e card for my main recording hardware.
I also use the beta driver that enables hardware MPEG2 for analog.
Barring one current issue, which I can not blame on the hardware
because it is yet unsolved, this is the best PCI-E card currently
available for the US. Due to the way my cable company organizes the
ClearQAM channels, multi-rec allows me to record all 4 major networks
at once. The hardware MPEG2 side is great for the rest of my channels.
I prefer this card to the HD HomeRun because of the analog encoding.

BTW I currently miss some recording on the DVB side when both
multi-rec inputs are in use for the first tuner and the second tuner
begins to record. It doesn't happen often and I just haven't had time
to figure it out yet.

Thanks,
James