[mythtv-users] Issue exiting to main menu and extremely high cpu usage for the frontend

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Jan 3 13:51:42 UTC 2011

On 1/3/2011 02:35, Matthew Anderson wrote:
> I have noticed something I have not seen before where the mythfrontend is
> taking up 100% CPU usage. With my setup I have a backend PC (I7 Quad Core,
> 4Gb Ram) to do all the recordings and I have smaller PC (single core
> 1.73Ghz) to do the play back only. Now when I am watching tv on the frontend
> it seems its taking up 100% of the cpu (no io) and the playback isn't that
> crisp anymore. I thought the frontend was lightweight and effectively
> rendered the recordings/stream sent via the backend?

The backend runs the scheduler, the database, encoding of recording if
you're using framegrabbers, and any commercial detection, transcoding,
or other tasks you run through the jobqueue.  All decoding for playback
is done on the frontend.  A 1.73GHz machine of any type is going to
struggle with anything HD.