[mythtv-users] HD-PVR IR remote : no /dev/lirc (and other IR receiver questions)

jr jraymyth at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 21:44:21 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm setting up a new Mythtv box, and I'm having some trouble / questions
> regarding setting up an IR receiver.
>
> I have a Harmony remote with my old mythtv box.  I have it set up as a
> Sony device as it seemed to have the most buttons that can be
> configured. The lirc config file for it begins as:
>
> ---
> begin remote
>
>  name  harmony550
>  bits           15
>  flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
>  eps            30
>  aeps          100
>
>  header       2438   551
>  one          1254   539
>  zero          666   539
>  gap          45023
>  min_repeat      2
>  toggle_bit_mask 0x0
>
>      begin codes
>          stop                     0x130D
> ---
>

> Option 1:
>
> I have a HD-PVR capture device (newest revision, I believe), and am
> considering the possibility of using the integrated IR receiver.  I have
> no need for the blaster, as I control my cable box via firewire.  The
> hd-pvr device is working fine for video capture.  After running modprobe
> lirc_zilog, dmesg shows only:
>
> [ 1653.627751] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 249
> [ 1653.667113] lirc_zilog: module is from the staging directory, the
> quality is unknown, you have been warned.
> [ 1653.671505] lirc_zilog: Zilog/Hauppauge IR driver initializing
> [ 1653.674872] lirc_zilog: initialization complete
>
> The problem is, there's no /dev/lirc device.  And I think that I should
> see "chip found with RX and TX" in the dmesg output as well (based on
> some googling I've done).  The lsusb output for the device is:
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2040:4903 Hauppauge
>
> I'm using the lirc_zilog drivers that come with the 2.6.35-24-generic
> Mythbuntu 10.10 updated OS.  The hdpvr driver is from the hg tree for
> v4l-dvb: http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb
> Do I need to be running a different version of the lirc_zilog driver?
>
> Why am I not seeing the lirc device?   I've heard that the IR receiver
> for the hdpvr device isn't the greatest (stability/reliability issues?),
> so is it even worth investigating the problem further?   If I can get
> the receiver itself working, would it be compatible with the above
> Harmony remote configuration?
>

> Option 2:
>
> I've noticed that MCE remotes come with a USB IR receiver.   I should be
> able to use this receiver with the above Harmony remote configuration,
> right?    I have no desire to use the default MCE remote or
> configuration, as I want more buttons.  :)
>

> Option 3:
>
> The ASRock A330ION system I got didn't advertise that it has a serial
> port, but it does have the connector on the motherboard.  With a little
> dremel work, I figure I could add a DB9 connector to the case and just
> [...]

Will,

I am running an combined 0.24 FE/BE (Mythbuntu 10.10) on a Zoltac ION L-E,
with an HD Homerun and an HDPVR, and while I am not quite satisfied with my
configuration, perhaps this will help.

Attached to the box via usb are an mceusb receiver and the HDPVR.  The HDPVR
would crash on me when used as a receiver.

   - Install fresh copy of Mythbuntu 10.10
   - Configure MythTV (LIRC(for mceusb), tuners, channels, plugins etc)
   - Download the patched HDPVR and LIRC
drivers<http://www.themainlan.com/mythtv/hdpvr-blaster-drivers.tar.gz>
   - Compile the HDPVR driver only.  Ignore the LIRC folder completely.
   - Backup your HDPVR.ko
   - rmmod HDPVR and replace the old HDPVR.ko with the new one.
   - modprobe the HDPVR and the lirc_zilog modules. both should work and you
   should see TX and RX entries for zilog if you dmesg | grep zilog
   - at this point you should have an lirc0, lirc1, lircd and lircd1 in /dev

Attached are my hardware.conf and lircd.conf's.

Hope this helps.
jr