[mythtv-users] stereo and 5.1?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 02:34:51 UTC 2011

On 2 January 2011 04:55, Jack Lockard <jacklockard at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have S/PDIF optical cable running to my 5.1 receiver.
> I have a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable running to my TV.
> Is there a way to get these outputs both active at the same time?
> Normally, I'd like to watch mythtv with just my TV speakers and my receiver
> off.  But if it's a movie, I'd prefer to get the 5.1 by muting my TV and
> turning on the receiver.

set your main audio device for the analog output
and enable in Advanced Audio Settings , passthrough override and use
ALSA:iec958:AES0=6

Set your audio speakers to 5.1 and disable the upmixer (otherwise all
stereo audio will be sent a 5.1 AC3)

you will have to turn on your amplifier whenever you are playing a 5.1 device.

The other option, which would work better as you would also get 5.1
audio in stereo on your TV.
Provided you have an hdmi TV or a TV with spdif in, you can then have
PC -> TV -> amplifier

most TV with either hdmi or spdif in, have an option to passthrough
spdif to another device.

You can using alsa mixer have audio on both at the same time, however
you won't get digital passthrough working that way ; stereo on both
only
JY