[mythtv-users] Merge of OSD and Main themes causes WAF to Plummet

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Mon Feb 28 18:08:30 UTC 2011

On 2011-02-25, at 8:40 PM, Michael Jones wrote:

> With the current setup, while it is technically possible, mixing and matching is a pain

Michael, give this script a go. There's some usage text if you don't give it arguments but I'll repeat it here:

   mythtThemeMerge.sh uiTheme osdTheme 'Merged Name'

   A new theme will be created and called 'Merged Name'. UI elements from the
   first argument will be combined with OSD elements from the second argument.

For example, I put the script on the path and did (as the mythtv user):

	cd ~/.mythtv/themes
	 mythThemeMerge.sh blue-abstract-wide /usr/share/mythtv/themes/metallurgy 'Blue Metal'

You'll see the new theme in your frontend's theme chooser. Blue Metal works well enough for me. Unfortunately BlueCurves doesn't get along with trunk so I can't have my dream BlueAbstract/BlueCurves combo. If I get a chance I'll see about updating blue curves and sending it back to Harley Peters. Thanks for that great OSD theme btw Harley. Also thanks to Robert Siebert for a great UI theme. I'm sorry I don't appreciate your OSD as much, it's nothing personal.

There's a potential problem with those mysterious wandering popups mentioned on this thread. I suspect this means the old caller ID thing that used to come up only during program viewing will soon be available anywhere in myth and that's why it's sooo important to have everything defined in one place. This case is probably equally trivial to handle but I don't know that there are any themes with those popups yet and I'd want to see an example to tweak the script.

If merging works for people and doesn't rile the powers that be I'll toss up a page on the wiki. Then us theme luddites can have what we want and there will be peace in the kingdom.

Oh, the XSL technique used in the script can be made to work for what JYA wants which is to copy everything in a theme but make minor adjustments to particular elements. The theme engine is pretty open ended so there aren't any blanket techniques to do it. Those sort of things have to be done on a theme-by-theme basis.

- George