[mythtv-users] Installing an external USB sound device on Mythbuntu 10.10 [SOLVED]

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Mon Feb 28 15:04:51 UTC 2011

MythTV Users,

I finally found the answer to my issue.

So, the issue fundamentally was that all the drivers and everything
existed on my system, but that the order of sound cards being loaded was
wrong.

asoundconf has been deprecated, and there isn't really a clear
replacement that does the same thing, so one has to manually edit files.

To change the order of sound cards, do the following:

$ cat /proc/asound/modules

This will give you a list of the names of the sound cards you need in
the format necessary for the next step.

$ sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

At the very bottom of the file, simply add in the sound cards, using the
names you got from the above command, where 0 is the first card loaded,
1 is the second, and so on.

options snd-C index=0
options snd-A index=1
options snd-B index=2

Save the file, and then run:

sudo alsa force-reload

Note: on my system it listed two intel cards that were the same. I don't
know why. I thought I might need them both, so I tried putting them in
the list in the 1 and 2 spot. This caused ALSA to fail when I tried
playing any sound.

Bottom line, don't put in any duplicated. I removed one of the identical
intel cards from the list, so I had my USB at index=0, the intel card at
index=1, and nothing else.

After that, everything works great.

Let's hope they come up with a more user friendly way to set up sound in
the future.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

--
Dave M G