[mythtv-users] 0.24+fixes - tearing, /dev/rtc permissions and getting openGL to work

Mike mythtv at dtmc.ca
Mon Feb 28 00:40:03 UTC 2011

On 27 February 2011 01:33, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 27 February 2011 05:53, Mike <mythtv at dtmc.ca> wrote:
>> Anyone know how/why I can't control the volume in MythTV given it is
>> now using NVIDIA HDMI sound source?  I rescanned to find this source
>> when I upgraded from 0.23 to 0.24 but I'd not tried adjusting the HDMI
>> audio volume in either version until today.
>
> hdmi = digital
>
> You can't control the volume of a digital interface.
>
> You can however play on the content stream ; mythtv has a "software"
> volume control ; if you use it you will be able to control the volume
>
> But you're much better off using the TV or amplifier to change the volume

Thanks, I did find "software" in the end did control the volume.
So I think it all works pretty good now in terms of video playback.

The biggest headaches right now are exiting live-tv playback can
either not occur, occur and frontend exits (crashes I assume) - no
pattern spotted.

Also navigating between OSD Programme Guide and back to Live TV can
leave me with a blue backdrop and maybe sound from the program 20% of
the attempts.

I also found attempting to watch LiveTV of a recorded program will
either prompt me for "this channel is in use" which 25% of the time
when I hit ok will crash frontend.

Otherwise, I dont get live-tv instead I get the beginning of the
recording session.  I never saw this kind of instability in 0.23 just
navigating between recorded, livetv and menus.

(I also see lockups occasionally but I think this is Zotac/Ubuntu
10.10 generic issue and usually happens on startup and the entire
computer is frozen.  This has been reported in Ubuntu 10.10 on a
variety of hardware.)