[mythtv-users] Merge of OSD and Main themes causes WAF to Plummet

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Sun Feb 27 18:40:50 UTC 2011

On 27 Feb 2011, at 14:42, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> On 2/27/2011 06:13, Andre wrote:
>> On 27 Feb 2011, at 10:23, Justin Hornsby wrote
>>> Is the text too small? Is there too much info onscreen? Is there not
>>> enough info onscreen? Is the background too translucent?  Que?
>> I find that in general text is too big, menus are a long way from the edges of the screen, lots of screen space is wasted, it seems to me that almost all the themes are aimed at smaller TV's with maximum overscan, yet most of the complaints in this thread are from people with regular tvs saying the opposite so I'm puzzled!
>
> No one should be suffering from overscan,

Absolutely, the days of valve TVs and varying mains voltage are long gone, those were the original reasons overscan was invented for anyone who didn't know, the picture would get bigger and smaller as the mains supply varied, overscan was done so the picture always filled the screen even everyone's ovens were turned on cooking dinner! It seems those people who didn't like black bars around their pictures were around at the beginning of TV ;-)

I'm amazed that almost all modern TVs still have it switched on by default and many cannot even switch it off! What's the point of full resolution 1080p screens when the first thing the TV does is scale everything by 5% or even 10%? It should be a requirement for the full HD logo to have permanent 1:1 full scan, almost all broadcaster upscaled SD has a 2% overscan applied during scaling to remove ragged edges and switching lines. The HD frame is defined as active to the edges unlike SD, the same title and action safe areas apply due to downconversions.

Actually I just found a new theme I didn't see before "A Forest" that uses the whole screen area well like Arclight, the others seem to honour the 20% title safe which I think is excessive these days. Of course it's reasonable that some themes should cater to smaller tube TVs diversity is good but the display wizard can fix overscan for any theme.

> because they should be using
> the display wizard to set MythTV's geometry to exactly match that of the
> TV's.

I don't really want to add any unnecessary scaling, let the people using overscan mess with that, I find that 1% crop removes any remaining SD ragged edges with minimal image loss and no scaling.

Andre