[mythtv-users] Merge of OSD and Main themes causes WAF to Plummet

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Sun Feb 27 11:13:12 UTC 2011

On 27 Feb 2011, at 10:23, Justin Hornsby wrote:

> So can somebody please tell us in terms of specifics why OSD themes
> teamed with the current UI themes aren't up to snuff for them?

Now this is a much more constructive direction for this thread.

> Is the text too small? Is there too much info onscreen? Is there not
> enough info onscreen? Is the background too translucent?  Que?

I find that in general text is too big, menus are a long way from the edges of the screen, lots of screen space is wasted, it seems to me that almost all the themes are aimed at smaller TV's with maximum overscan, yet most of the complaints in this thread are from people with regular tvs saying the opposite so I'm puzzled!

The only theme I've seen which is in any way different in the ways that matter to me is Arclight, unfortunately it's missing important (to me) infomation in the recordings view and is generally very dark, especially a problem when the theme is rendered at full range rgb on a display that only accepts studio range, the darker parts are crushed into black, Mythbuntu suffers in the same way.

I'm happy to concede that I'm an edge case as I only watch TV on a projector, this means that everything is rather large, there is no overscan so in most themes there are feet of empty screen around everything. All the OSDs look huge and the brighter ones are a visual shock when pausing in a dark scene! It's also nice to have a bright background to light up the room between shows or movies, I realise of course this is a complete conflict to wanting a darker more transparent OSD. I'm currently using Arclight with some bright alternate backgrounds, sky, sea and beach shots mostly.

I read through the theming docs before the competition with the intent of producing a theme for large screen projector users but it hasn't been started yet...
As I am a broadcast engineer I suspect what I produce is likely to be functional but ugly, trying to interest a graphics artist friend in collaborating but no luck yet.

> I'm just wondering, on the off-chance that somebody might come along &
> want to make themes that appeal to you.

Or at least some constructive discussion might identify some common ground.

Andre