[mythtv-users] 0.24+fixes - tearing, /dev/rtc permissions and getting openGL to work

Mike mythtv at dtmc.ca
Sat Feb 26 15:54:26 UTC 2011

On 26 February 2011 10:50, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On 11-02-26 10:47 AM, Mike wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for everyones help and commentary on what my hardware can
>> achieve.
>
> I just wish I could get mine to stop tearing as easily as you did.
>
>> I only have to figure out the /dev/rtc permission issue
>
> What is having the right permissions on /dev/rtc going to buy you?  If
> it really does offer something, we should get the udev rule(s) figured
> out and push it up to the myth-distro (i.e. mythbuntu, mythdora, etc.)
> maintainers to have done automagically.
>
> b.

I think it buys me RTC over usleep... which seems a debatable
advantage but RTC could be tuned (increased in frequency) from what
I've read and possibly lower CPU load(?).  Oddly, this wasn't a
problem in earlier mythtv + Ubuntu combinations from my memory.  If
there is no benefits then I can happily ignore it ;o)

(I agree it would be nice to have it done automagically.  With my
current configuration I had to resort to local compiles & installation
of 0.24 to get past some frontend crashing with Ubuntu 10.10 which
from the activity on the bug appears to not be fixed but rather cited
as fixed upstream.)