[mythtv-users] Is multirec working good for anyone?

Matt S. skd5aner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 14:38:47 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Matt S. <skd5aner at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 5:12 PM, raptor jr <raptorjr at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> How is multirec working out for you?
>>
>> For me it doesn't seem to work very well. If a recording is in progress and
>> another starts on the same card, both fail. If my first and second card are
>> recording and i wan't to watch LiveTV, which should be possible on the other
>> channels that are on the same MUX, it is not possible to change to another
>> channel, i can only watch the one that is recording on my "LiveTV card", ie
>> the last card in my setup. With the OSD i am able to browse to the other
>> channels on the same MUX, but when i try to switch channels it takes a while
>> and then i'm back on the one recording.
>> I'm using DVB-C and the latest trunk version of Myth.
>>
>> Is this working for anyone? It seems that it would be a nice feature if it
>> worked.
>>
>> /Stefan
>
> It's a known limitation of multi-rec, and has been since it was
> implemented a few years ago.  It's not a card or driver issue, it's a
> mythtv one.
>
> However, it only manifests itself as you describe, when something is
> recording a scheduled show on a certain multiplex, that is the only
> multiplex you can leverage in LiveTV.  There are workarounds, but none
> of them really work for me - except to get rid of the virtual tuners
> and don't use multiplex - which is what I've done.  It's probably my
> only actual "complaint" against MythTV - but I understand why it's low
> priority, and I've got enough physical tuners personally that I would
> rarely benefit from having multiplex that I can live with it until
> it's fixed.  That said - I can't wait until it's fixed :D
>
> See:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/458151#458151
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/469495?search_string=multirec%20livetv;#469495
> and
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7164
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4989
>
> and a dozen or so other reports and ML threads on the subject.
>
> Matt

er.... it's come to my attention after re-reading that you might be
talking about some slightly different issues than what I originally
referred to.  My assumption was that you couldn't watch channels
outside of the recording tuner's used multiplex, but it sounds like
you can't even tune to any other channels on that multiplex, just the
channel actually be recorded?  I have not seen that specific behavior.
 I've seen, and was referring to, the case that mythtv locks me into
only the channels on a used multiplex in Live TV when there's a
recording.  They may be related, but I did want to quantify.

Not sure if you're having other unrelated issues or not that may also
be coming into play - just wanted to clarify what my post (and the
links referenced) were referring to.  Good luck!

Matt