[mythtv-users] HD-PVR issues - is there a solution?

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Fri Feb 25 06:06:24 UTC 2011

On 2/24/2011 7:29 PM, list list wrote:
> What did you use for a remote power strip?  A mechanical timer?

No I used devices controlled via 'zwave'.

I used the following zwave controlled power outlet. I simply plugged a
regular power strip into it.
http://www.amazon.com/45604-Technology-Outdoor-Lighting-Control/dp/B0013V8K3O

 - It was on sale at radio shack for $15.

I use the following zwave USB controller
http://www.amazon.com/TrickleStar-300ZW-US-W-Z-Wave-USB-Stick/dp/B002NHLD2W

 - I got it for about $30.

I use the software from the openzwave project to control the device. I
wrote a python based program that
queries the myth backend to determine if anything is recording or not,
and if so, it sleeps until recording is idle. Once I have a record free
window, I issue the switch off, wait 20 seconds, and switch on commands.
Using a mechanical timer would not allow this unless I could guarantee a
time I was never recording.