[mythtv-users] 0.24+fixes - tearing, /dev/rtc permissions and getting openGL to work

Mike mythtv at dtmc.ca
Fri Feb 25 03:15:19 UTC 2011

On 24 February 2011 22:06, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 February 2011 10:58, Taylor Ralph <taylor.ralph at gmail.com> wrote:
>> With Temporal 2x it does appear the video is slowly falling behind. I
>> again would recommend downgrading to 256 like JYA recommended. Also,
>> you might still need to add an additional DIMM to get the performance
>> level high enough to use Temporal 2X without issue. If anything works
>> please let us know.
>
> Mike
>
> Focusing on the playback quality rather than performance, I noticed in
> those logs that your display is interlaced (1080i). I'd recommend you
> try and switch to a progressive modeline (ie. 1080p) if you can. In an
> ideal world, we could just pass interlaced material to an interlaced
> display and it would just 'work'. Unfortunately that isn't the case
> and with your current setup your material is probably getting
> deinterlaced twice - which explains why 1x deinterlacers might look
> better. You'll also find that displaying Standard Definition
> interlaced material (i.e. NTSC in your case) on that screen will
> probably look terrible.
>
> Regards
>
> Mark

Thanks Mark, can the TV I have do progressive? TH-50PH9UK 50

I believe when I bought it years back it could only do 1080i.

Using U10.10 NVIDIA drivers its' decided to pick the settings of which
the resolution is full-HD and as you describe looks pretty awful.

I was hoping for better things after forking out for an HDMI adapter
for the TV (original comes with PC, Component) and integrating it with
other HDMI devices/recievers.

The signal from teh Zotac HDMI now goes through an HDMI receiver then to the TV.

Before, I had used the PC-mode on the television and VGA output on the
Zotac... it worked ok but I had some really odd resolution and
overscan issues.  Not sure if this is the 260.x NVIDIA driver to blame
or not.  I had very little success changing NVIDIA drivers in the past
so a little hesitant to do so now although I appreciate peoples
comments on 260.x quality.